A builder in Hyde has been caught carrying out illegal gas work at two homes after an investigation found he had left a boiler in a “dangerous condition.”

Monwar Ali, 40, is being prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) after a home on Norbury Avenue and another on Harbour Farm Road were left with faulty boilers. These put the lives of both families at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Norbury Avenue address had paid Mr Ali £21,000 to carry out a loft conversion in 2011. As part of this, he removed the flue pipe which connects to the boiler. Such a procedure requires a qualified, registered professional. The pipe was left disconnected for almost two months.

In the case of the Harbour Farm Road address, Mr Ali had fraudulently provided the family with a Gas Safe Register logo on his quotes, and was subsequently paid nearly £50,000 to build a two storey extension, and moved the gas boiler on two occasions.

Mr Ali has pleaded guilty to six breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations SI 1998/2451 between 28 December 2010 and 31 August 2011. He was sentenced to 220 hours unpaid work to be completed within 12 months and to pay £2,000 towards prosecution costs.

Russel Kramer, Chief Executive of Gas Safe Register has stressed the importance of safe gas work, advising prospective customers to check all Gas Safe engineers carry a valid Gas Safe ID card. Customers can also call 0800 408 5500 or visit www.gassaferegister.co.uk to ensure their gas engineer is fully qualified.